Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why, God?

What an emotional weekend…

The beginning of this break, I hear that a friend of mine’s mom passes away.

Then this weekend, one day I hear a friend’s brother died, and the next day, a very special friend’s sister… both due to alcohol. Both not Christians.

Today, I saw this girl that I have worked with in our special needs ministry. She’s the one whose brother died. They were extremely close. She just got married 2 weeks ago and shes’ only 2 or 3 years older than me. She sat in front of me, in the first row at church today. Her one hand was in the air, and her other hand around her husband, and she was just balling. She couldn’t sing because of the tears, but she was praising God with her hand lifted high.

Why, God?

Yesterday I see my small group leader at church after helping in the nursery. She comes over and gives me a hug and I ask her how she is…. No answer. When she lets go, she has tears in her eyes and goes, “my sister died last night. She drank herself to death. She was an alcoholic. She wasn’t a Christian.”

Why, God?

It seems as though everyone I know and am close to has things in their lives that are just so hard, things that I can’t even begin to imagine how painful they must be. Why is God allowing this?

I know that God is good and I believe He has a sovereign plan for us. But sometimes, the hurt is so great and we’re so confused by our circumstances that “Why, God?” is the only thing we know how to say.

All of my heart wishes I could take the pain away from these dear people to me. But I know I can’t… so as I sit here, with tears coming down my face, I will pray. I will pray so hard and believe that God has the power to comfort His children even in times such as these.

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

No comments: