Saturday, February 14, 2009

Teaching

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." ~William Arthur Ward

I've been thinking a lot recently about how I feel that the Lord is calling me to be a teacher, and what that truly means. All my life I have wanted to be someone who makes a difference... even when I was little. I never really thought teaching was something God wanted me to do until I switched my major my sophomore year, and even then, I still had some doubts.

However, this semester is really getting into the practical side of teaching; the lesson planning, the state standards you have to follow, classroom management, etc. The one thing that has been drilled into our minds this far into the program is that the kids we teach, are kids that God has chosen to place in our care, for us to teach, nurture, and love them as He does. That's a big responsibility. And an awesome calling.

I want to teach in a school very unlike the ones I grew up in; schools in the inner city, schools with students who have difficult home lives, schools with diversity. (unlike my snobby rich white kids schools). Part of me doubts that I am cut out for this... and I know it is just Satan putting lies in my head, making me doubt myself, doubting the fact that I will be able to make a difference in the lives of those students in my classroom. But, I really think this is what God is calling me to do. Part of me is almost wondering if I will even be in a special education classroom. Maybe, God wants me in the regular classroom. If you had told me this a year, or to be honest even a month or so ago, I would have dismissed the idea right away. I am still planning on grad school for special education... but maybe God wants me to use my passion for special needs elsewhere, like helping start a special needs ministry in whatever church I end up at, but still teaching in a regular classroom the rest of the time.

It's so awesome to see God give us passions and desires. I may still end up in a special education room... but it's nice to know that I'm open to either one. I am really loving this semester. Sure there are still difficult things to deal with... aka - not sleeping well, lots of homework, etc. But what I'm gaining from classes, friendships, time with my Savior, is making this a great semester. I'm excited about the prospect of teaching, and where God is going to take me, what He is going to want me to do. And yes, there's some fear there too.

But how great is it, that as a Christian, I know that God has my best interest at heart, and I have peace that He will work everything out, so that I don't have to worry about it? Of course I still worry at times... I'm human. But, it's just such a wonderful gift to know Jesus. And I think as Christians we take that for granted, especially those of us who have grown up in the church. It is incredibly easy to become numb to people when they say things like, "God has a plan for you!" or, "Give it all to God, He'll take care of you!" But it's true!

I want to rejoice in that, I want to revel in the fact that my God is going to meet all my needs, He's going to show me where He wants me, and He's going to use me however He sees fit.

I'm excited to be a teacher... and I hope that by the grace of God, I'll be a great one.

No comments: