Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Running back to You

Do you ever hear a song that you've heard about 100 times, but suddenly, when you hear it again, it takes on a whole new meaning? That happened to me today... I was by myself and I heard a song by Shawn McDonald that I've heard before, and I've always liked it, but this time, I really listened to the words... and now it's all I want to listen to!

Have you ever wanted to be someone else
Have you ever wanted to be someone
Have you ever wanted to reach your dreams
Have you ever wanted life to be more than it seems

I have tasted of a love so wide
That it stops all my time
I have tasted of a love so deep
That it blows my mind

Have you ever wanted to reach up and touch the sky
Have you ever wanted to pack it up and say good-bye
Have you ever wanted someone to care
Have you ever wanted someone to be there

I have tasted of a love so wide
That it stops all my time
I have tasted of a love so deep
That it blows my mind

He is sweet, He is sweet
What you're looking for
Is my sweet, sweet Jesus
What You're looking for
Is my sweet Lord...


I heard that song and just wanted to put it on repeat. I feel like I've been far away from God recently... I've been frustrated with Him to be quite honest. Like, do you ever pray and pray and pray and nothing seems to happen? It's like you feel that He's not listening... or that He'd rather be hearing anyone's prayers but yours.

And then today after talking to a dear friend of mine from home, I got mad at myself... for being frustrated with God. Who am I to be frustrated with Him? Of course He's hearing me and of course He knows what He's doing... but instead of being frustrated - He's wanting me to run to Him and say, "Lord, I trust You and Your timing, and Your will. Do with me what you want. You give, you take away, and no matter what I'm going through, I'm going to bless Your name." Well. Clearly I can't pray that prayer unless I ask for strength to pray it. and mean it.

And as I was just sitting in my car, listening to the words of this song... a peace came over me. and i wanted to just sit and pray and run back into the arms of my Father. There is nothing that I can desire besides God that won't let me down... I've felt all of those "have you ever's" at some point... I've wanted to pack it up and say good bye before, I've wanted to be someone else, I've wanted to reach my dreams (still do!)... all these things are things that I feel everyone feels at some point... but what you're looking for, what I'm looking for... is the love of my sweet Jesus.

This song was such a blessing to hear today. I love how music can hit you in ways that spoken or written words cannot. It was like, God was giving me a 'big hug' through this song, and He whispered, "It is I you want. It is I who will take care of you. It is I you can trust. My love for You is greater than any love you've ever known. I am yours, and you are Mine. Come back to Me... my arms are open wide."


God, I'm running back to You. I feel like I've been so distanced from You... help my unbelief. Help me to trust You all the time. Remind me your will is better then my own. Give me peace that only You can give, and help me to love you with all that I am and all that I have...always. For you are my Savior, the Lord of my life, and I never want to be without You. Help me to never take your love for granted, and to never forget what an amazing gift it is to be called your child. There is no greater title i could ever have then, "Daughter of God."

Replace my pride with a heart of humility and help me to wake up every morning and choose to follow You with all that I am. Thank You for loving me, for I am so undeserving to have a Father like You.

1 comment:

katie said...

thanks for sharing this...it's definitely something i needed to hear. i miss you girl